Wednesday 15 July 2015

Hawaiian Lei of Shrunken Heads by Katerina Sestakova Novotna

Hope to get some reviewing done and make a start with redesigning my book covers. Now I do more promotion, I see that other authors have much more professional looking covers and adverts. I've downloaded a snazzy looking free software package called Canva. However having played with it for a few minutes I can see that this is going to take a long time. So back to reviewing, here is mine for the following book, available on Amazon:

Hawaiian Lei of Shrunken Heads by Katerina Sestakova Novotna


This bundle of short stories inspired by Hawaii s not for the faint hearted. But if you’re ok with a well written book, that contains some scenes of rape and mutilation from the get go, I’ll say go for it. The theme throughout is Hawaii, its people, gods and traditions. The writer is not a native to the islands but she has a sensitive and insightful touch and I can feel she has a great love for her adopted home. Many of us think of Hawaii as this Island paradise, which makes these stories maybe more, shocking. Paradise stays interesting for a little while; but it is the darker underbelly that is far more intriguing. I especially like the last story that carries the tittle of the book and nicely puts the whole book in context. This is talented writer with a wicked dark sense of humour. I’ve recently read some other work of hers in the anthology ‘you’re not alone’ and I’m pleased her work continues to go from strength to strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment